Monday 19 July 2010

Dangu

One of the best discoveries I've made since moving to Korea is Dangu. Dangu is Korean billiards. It's either played with 3 balls.....argghhh a mosquito just tried to suck my blood. Little fucker. I'm a peaceful man. I don't kill anything deliberately, we all have a right to be here. All of us except for mozzies. Nicking someone's blood is just plain out of order. Anyway, back to ball sports. Dangu is either played with 3 or 4 balls. I play the 4 ball version. You have a table, about the size of a pool table but, with no pockets, 2 red balls, 1 white ball and 1 yellow ball. The idea is to hit either the yellow or white ball and make contact with both red balls without hitting the remaining yellow or white. It's like only playing the positional shots in snooker.......which is a lot more fun than it sounds.






I think one of the reasons I enjoy it so much is the interaction with othe people. Dangu is played predominantly by men. I've only seen 2 women play Dangu and one of the worked at the place. It's like a men's club. Dude's play Dangu, chat, rip on each other, smoke and just generally hang out. I'm getting kind of addicted to it.



It's the first stop on many good nights out and it can also be the whole night out when you order take away food and booze to be delivered.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a whole heap of fun. I have only one problem with Dangu: looking at a pool table with no pockets hurts my brain. It's like Homer has gone back in time, trodden on a lizard and altered our reality a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it blew my mind for a while. One thing I didnt mention in my post is that the balls in Dangu are much bigger. It's weird going from Dangu to Pool. It's like playing on a kids.....I was gonna say balls then....ahem... It's like playing on a kids table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds terrible.... Gimmie golden eye anyday

    You knock yourself out though, banging those balls around. Its marbles with a stick.

    Snooker/pool halls in UK look a lot like Dangu halls in Korea.

    Loving the posts Mike keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. It isn't a Korean game. Carom billiards have been around forever, look it up.

    ReplyDelete